The Board derives its authority from and functions under Presidential directions. Some of the functions of the Board, broadly, are as under.
- Completion of the construction of the sanctioned Project
- Regulation of supplies of water and power in accordance with such rules as may be made in this behalf by the Board
- Maintenance of canals and other works common to both the States of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh
- Maintenance of the dam and reservoir of the project
- Granting of lease of fisheries in the reservoir and in the canals
- Proper utilisation of land acquired for the purpose of the Project, and
- Any other function incidental to, or connected with the functions specified in above clauses