Constitution of board

The Tungabhadra project was taken up by then states of Madras and Hyderabad during February 1945. With the formation of Andhra State Act 1953, certain areas of the project of the right side of the river belonging to the then madras state were transferred to the then Mysore state and the project became a venture of the then states of Mysore, Andhra. This resulted in more than 55 percent of irrigated area on the right bank of the river falling in Andhra & the reservoir with the head reaches of the canal system lying in the state of Mysore .This situation warranted constitution of an independent body to look after the timely completion of the approved project, its maintenance and oversee distribution of benefits to the states.

Subsequently ,as per the Andhra State Act,1953,President of Indian was authorized to give directions for the completion of the project and its operation and maintenance there after .Accordingly, Under a presidential order, Tungabhadra Board was constituted with effect from 1st oct,1953 vide notification No DW II -22(129) Dated 29 th sep,1953 of the then ministry of irrigation and power.

The Board constituted of chairman appointed by government of India & six members were chief engineers of both irrigation and power department of the government of Andhra, Mysore and Hyderabad .Chairman of the central water And power commission was appointed the chairman of the board in addition to his normal duties .The board was entrusted with the task of completion of the Project and to deal with all matters relating to works, which were common to both the states of Andhra and Mysore.

The board was reconstituted with effect from 15 march, 1955 vide notification No DW VI (4) (9) Dated 10-3-1955 of the then Ministry of irrigation and power (copy at Annexure 2.1).The reconstituted Board consisted of a chairman appointed by the government of India, Andhra, Mysore and Hyderabad. After the reorganization of the states in 1956, the Hyderabad Government representative was deleted from Board vide Notification Np.39(25)/56 DW .VI dated 1.11.1056 of then ministry of irrigation and power.

Earlier the center line of the Tungabhadra River was the boundary on then states. With re-organization of states, the center line of river no more remained the boundary and the canal on the right bank meandered through the states of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka

Present Composition Of Board
The present composition of the Tungabhadra Board is as follows:

Present Composition Of Board
Chairman(Nominated by GoI) Chief engineer, Krishna & Godvari Basin, central water commission, Hyderabad
Member (Representing GoI) Finical Adviser and joint Secretary ,Ministry of water Resources, New Delhi
Member (Representing GoAP) Engineer-in-chief, (Irrigation),Irrigation & CAD Dept., Hyderabad
Member (Representing GoT) Engineer-in-chief, (Irrigation),Irrigation & CAD Dept., Hyderabad
Member (Representing GoK) Secretary to government, Water Resources Department, Government of Karnataka, Bangalore.

Shri P.Ramachandra Rao,
Chairman,Tungabhadra Board and Chief Engineer(KGBO),
Central Water Commission,

Member of Government of India
Shri Sunil Kumar Kohli

Member of Government of Andra Pradesh :
Shri Aditya Nath Das

Member of Government of Karnataka
Shri B.G.Guruparaswamy

Function of the Board

The important functions of the Board, initially laid down were:

Completion of the construction of the sanctioned project;
Regulation of supplies of water and power in accordance with such rules as may be made in this behalf by the Board;
Maintenance of canals and other works common to both the states of Karnataka And Andhra Pradesh;
Maintenance of the dam and Reservoir of the project;
Granting of lease of fisheries in the reservoir in the canals:
Proper utilization of land acquired for the purpose of the project; and
Any other function incidental to or connected with the function specified in above clauses.

In the discharge of its assigned functions, the Board exercises power of state Government .Board makes its own rules for the conduct of its own business .The Board appoints a whole time secretary

Nandanavana Garden

Nandanavana garden was developed soon after the completion of the dam during the year 1956-57. Thisgarden is located just downstream of the dam running parallel to it. It has an area of about 6 acres (2.43 ha) and is designed and developed on the lines of Brindavan Gardens at Krishna Raj Sagar near Mysore. It is well laid with four terraces at different elevations. The first terrace is housing circular type fountain with a Shiva statue at the center. The other three terraces are equipped with fountains of various designs, running parallel and perpendicular to the layout of the garden. This garden has got welll-maintained lawns, Bougain villea on the slopes, seasonal and annual flower beds, Christmas trees, Cyprus plants and topiary arches

Garden unit

Tungabhadra Dam , Karnataka

The River Tungabhadra derives its name from two streams viz., the Tunga, about 147 km (91.6 miles) long and the Bhadra, about 178 Km (110.9 miles) long which rise in the Western Ghats. The river after the influence of the two streams near Shimoga, runs for about 531 Km (330 miles) till it joins the river Krishna at Sangamaleshwaram in Andhra Pradesh. It runs for 382 Km (237 miles) in Karnataka, forms the boundary between Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh for 58 Km (36 miles) and further runs for the next 91 Km (57 miles) in Andhra Pradesh. The total catchment area of the river is 69,552 Sq Km (26,856 Sq miles) up to its confluence with Krishna and it is 28,177 Sq Km (10,880 Sq miles) up to Tungabhadra Dam. It is influenced chiefly by the South-West monsoon. It is a perennial river but the summer flows dwindle to as low as 2.83 to 1.42 cumec (100 to 50 cusec).